Queen’s Wharf was packed with people on 6 August 1901 when the Lucinda arrived carrying the men of the Fourth Contingent who had just returned from the Boer War in South Africa. The steamer Lucinda had been dispatched earlier to collect them from the Brittanic, at anchor in Moreton Bay. Read more
During the flood of February 1893, the first permanent Victoria Bridge collapsed partially, leaving the residents of North and South Brisbane with no direct vehicular connection until repairs could be made. Although a new bridge designed by engineer Alfred Brady was under construction, as a precaution the bridge was closed to traffic and three small river steamers employed to ferry people from Queen’s Wharf to Musgrave Wharf, South Brisbane when floodwaters again began to buffet the temporary section of the bridge in February 1896.