Fortunately the steamer Pacific had departed from the wharf servicing the Sanitary Plant when a landslip occurred somewhere around 6.30 a.m. on the morning of 7 February 1890, an event which followed a period of heavy rain that had caused a number of landslips along North Quay.
On the night of 11 September 1866 a crowd of more than 400 hungry men who had found their way into the town surged from the Dunmore Arms in George Street.
Welcome home from the First World War for Department of Agriculture soldiers, 1919
In 1919 some 250 officers of the Department of Agriculture and their friends attended a function on the government yacht, Lucinda, to welcome home Agriculture employees who had served their country in the First World War. Ninety-one employees had enlisted from the Department; eleven had died in the conflict.
With so many timber buildings in Brisbane town, the threat of fire in the 1860s was a real one, as had been evidence by two significant fires in Queen Street in 1864, the latter of which destroyed fifty houses, two banks, three hotels and four drapery businesses.
Brisbane had no fire engine when the first serious conflagration for the town broke out on 8 July 1855, a Sunday morning, in the building that housed William Pettigrew’s steam saw mill. With no fire engine and few people about, Pettigrew’s first attempt at the mechanisation of timber saw milling in Queensland burnt to the ground, causing him an estimated loss of nearly £3,000.
The Brisbane River rose in flood on three occasions in February 1893. An early cyclonic deluge was followed by a second cyclone event on 11 February. The third cyclone on 19 February peaked slightly lower than the first. Destruction in Brisbane and beyond was widespread.